Monday, July 6, 2009

Inspiration for a Cafe Lover...

After spending the past two days in an out of cafes as the guys tour the pacific coast bike trail, I have decided to tour life in my own way.

This will be an off shoot blog of the rest of the trip.  

Years have passed since I decided that one day I will open up my own cafe.  I've spent at least the last two years sharing this dream for some sort of nonprofit-ministry-financing endeavor.

Yesterday, I spent a couple  hours in this strange little cafe just outside of downtown half moon bay.  I walked in a trio (one old man on guitar, one old man on mandolin, and an old woman on fiddle) playing irish folk jigs.  It was amazing.  (pictured below)
View from upstairs. 
Where I was sitting in front of the window.


Today, I write from East Village Coffee house.  This is more of a modern look, large brickwork.  I really enjoy the atmosphere here.  I walked in to the sounds of the Pixies.  Debaser is always a treat to hear played in a coffeeshop.  (pictured below)

View of the front room of the cafe
This is the top of a beautiful brick fireplace

On a side note, if I ever have a son I want to name him Doc.  This would be a tribute to Steinbeck and his Character, Doc, from the books Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday.  Since I was in Monterey I headed down to Cannery Row and paid a visit to the house/laboratory of Ed Ricketts, the real life inspiration for Steinbeck's character.  (pictured below)


The Back of the Lab facing Monterey Bay

The Front of the Lab which sets on Cannery Row

1 comment:

  1. The Lab, how cool is that! And fiddlers, even cooler! I am so jealous! Can't wait to see and hear about what you find next. So how has the coffee been?

    ReplyDelete